Saturday, July 28, 2012

Knit Christmas Stocking

This here is the only reason I learned how to crochet over 10 years ago. My grandmother made these for every family member, and is still making them today.





It was over 10 years ago that she started guilting us a little bit about who was going to make the stockings after she was gone. Since grandma crocheted everything, I started to learn how to crochet.

A year later I told her I was ready to learn how to make the stockings, however, I learned then that she knit the stocking.

Nine years later I learned how to knit.

Now 6 months after learning how to knit, I finally made what I had set out to make over 10 years ago!!



I am so proud of my stocking!! I saw someone selling something similar to these on Etsy for $50!! If only they didn't take so many man hours to make. Maybe the next one I make i'll break out my stop watch to figure out exactly how many hours it takes.



The pattern came from an old kit that my grandmother bought many many many years ago. If I had to guess, I'd say about 30 years ago. The directions are so tattered, torn, faded, and the paper is even now brown! I have no idea where the pattern is from, who made it, or even if something similar is still available. All I have are a photocopied version of her pages.

I am thinking about taking the pattern, and just changing up the chart a little bit. Maybe make a blue stocking with snowflakes?

I know for my family, I can never stray from the original design... seeings that everyone in my family has it!

However, for my husbands family, I might experiment!

18 comments:

  1. It is so nice to see this finished. You did a splendid job and a snowflake one would be super cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My aunt made these for our family 60 years ago. I too have a tattered pattern and have made for my whole family and a few close friends. When my grandchildren came along I found a pattern variation for their generation. Thanks for sharing. Nice to see it is still being made and enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family also has these stockings and I would love to make more, can I somehow get a copy of the patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this...I made two for my children over 30 years ago. Then 5 years ago one for my grandson..now I can't find the pattern for mine. I used a cream color instead of the white and it gives it an vintage look..I think the blue and white would be wonderful..hope you'll share those pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have the same stockings! Our whole family has them, and my grandma just passed the pattern down to me. Very neat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandma made these also. She passed last year. She was much too sick to make them for my boys, I wish I could knit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My great aunt has made these for my whole extended family, but now she's in a home and I'd like to pick up the tradition, but I don't have the pattern. Could you post it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are the same ones that have been in my husband's family for over 50 years - I'm knitting one for our new daughter-in-law this week... [A few years ago I bought the 'teach yourself to knot' kit from wal-mart as my gift to him...] ave already three of the similar pattern w/ a Santa on it for my brother and sister's families...

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sister-in-law taught me how to make these stockings by looking at the ones her mother made. We have been looking for a copy of the original pattern. Can you post a copy?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I aunt made these for all her nieces and nephews, their husbands/wives & children beginning over 63 yrs ago also. She also now has passed away and no one has been able to find her pattern. I would also like a copy of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too have this stocking from 1952, my sister also. My bro has a variation and I remember little about his other than it was blue. I continued the tradition with several different patterns given to my kids, my sister's kids, and in laws. meanwhile mine was falling apart in the attic. The wool is in bad shape. I would love a copy of the pattern, too. Your stocking came out great! Keep experimenting - that's what I did.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husbands grandmother made these exact stockings for all of us and she has passed on now. My kids are getting married this year and would like to have two stockings done with the names of their new spouses. Do you sell these?

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husbands grandmother made these exact stockings for all of us and she has passed on now. My kids are getting married this year and would like to have two stockings done with the names of their new spouses. Do you sell these?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi!

    I've been asked by a friend to knit this exact stocking for her little sister that they adopted as everyone in their family has one, and they aren't in contact with the lady who knitted the stocking for them. Would it be possible for me to get a copy of the pattern?

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  17. Could I please get a copy of this pattern? I was just asked by a co-worker to make one for her to match her husband's stocking which was made by his grandma. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Couldn't believe it when I saw this stocking! My sister had knitted one for everyone in her family AND all extended family. Whew! When my family grew by 4 people in one year, I knew I had to learn how to make these. It was my introduction to knitting. I too have an old photocopied and tattered pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...