Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Double-Sided Diagonal Pot Holder

Growing up my grandmother always made these pot holders. They were the ones she always used at her house, and since she gave my family a lot of them, they were the ones we always used at our house too. I am finally getting around to making some of my own!


This pattern doesn't require careful concentration, so this is a perfect thing to make while watching your favorite TV Show!

This is made with 2 strands of Aunt Lydia's 10 thread. You also need a 1" plastic ring and a size E aluminum crochet hook. Gauge is not particularly important.


To Start: Attach yarn to plastic ring with sl st and work approx. 26 sc to fill ring, join in front loop only with sl st. DO NOT TURN.
Round 1: ch 3 (counts as first dc this and every time), working in front loops only, dc in each of next 4 sc, ch 2, dc in each of next 5 sc; turn, working in free loops {back loops} behind stitches just worked dc in each of next 5 sc, ch 2, dc in each of next 5 sc, join with sl st in first dc, turn.
Round 2: ch 3, dc in each of next 4 dc, in ch-2 sp work 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc; dc in each of next 10 dc, in ch-2 sp work 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc; dc in next 5 dc, join with sl st in first dc, turn.
Round 3-15: ch 3, (dc in each of next dc until ch 2 sp, in ch-2 sp work 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) twice, dc in each of next dc ending row with sl st in first dc.
Round 16: ch 1, working through both loops of stitches in front and back row, sc in first stitch, ch 3, sl st in sc just made {picot made}, (sc in each of next 2 sts, ch 3, sl st in sc just made) repeat for a total of 17 picot before corner. In corner sp work 2 sc, picot, 1 sc, sc in next dc, work picot, (sc in each of next 2 sc, picot) repeat until 17 picot are made, sc in last stitch and end off.

Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I have a LOT of the size 10 crochet thread that I got at an auction, so this will be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I used double strands, and my aunt makes these with triple. So that could be another way to give it a try!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great idea! Definitely going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found you via Debi's blog and I absolutely love everything you do! I can't wait to try some of your patterns. Do you think I could use Sugar N Creme Cotton for this potholder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried it with the Sugar N Cream cotton. I don't see why this wouldn't work though! It just might be a little thicker than my version, and you'll probably not make as many rows. I know when I use 3 strands, instead of 2, I only have to crochet 13 rows, not 16. If you make it, please take a picture, i'd love to see it!

      Delete
  4. Thanks Stephanie. I started this, but am having trouble figuring out the pattern. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What part are you having difficulty in? I hope I can help you through it!

      Delete
  5. Well, I think I got Round 1 done right (maybe?) Here is what I did. I did SC around my hoop and did not turn. I then did Ch 3 and then DC in front loops of first 4 sc around the hoop. I then did Ch 2 and did a DC in the next 5 sc of the hoop. I turned my work, and then did DC in back loops of the last 5 DC that I worked (pattern says sc???). Ch 2, then did DC in next 5 DCs that I worked before (pattern says sc?). That left me back at the beginning where I have questions. (1) Where is it exactly I sl st into, since I am already at the first DC of this row (I think). and (2) if I do not turn now, where am I working my next stitches into? As I read onto Round 2, at one point it says to dc in next 10 dc... there is no way doing what I have done that I even have 10 consecutive dcs to work into. I have done this 3 times now and must be missing something in the directions or something!


    I took a picture of what I did; I can e-mail it to you if you like so you can see what I did. I just can't find your e-mail address anywhere on your blog I would send you one!

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern says sc because you're still working in the back loops of that sc on the ring. This pattern is worked in a round. After the sc on the ring you work one side in the front loop, and the other side on the back loop. Once you reach the end, you sl st into the top of the ch3 to form a complete loop.

      I did just notice that 2nd DO NOT TURN and was just thinking to myself why that was there. I'm going to delete it right now. You do have to turn at that point.

      For round 2, the 10 consecutive double crochets will be in the 5 you made in the front loop (after the first ch2 in round 1) and then in the 5 dc you made in the back loop (right before the 2nd ch 2 sp).

      I hope that helps! You can send me a picture at sblaisure@gmail.com

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Stephanie. Now that I understand it is supposed to be in the round, the directions make much more sense! I think I've got it now. I will send you a photo when I'm finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must try these . . . they should go well with my grandmother's dish cloth pattern made from 310, or larger, thread.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would not think of using thread for a pot holder, doesn't seem like it would be thick enough. But this looks so cute, I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...