Monday, January 16, 2012

Playful Ripple Baby Blanket

I made this baby blanket for a friend of mine who is having her baby today! It didn't turn out the exact way I wanted it, because I ran out of the green yarn. The yarn happens to be a discontinued yarn as well, so I couldn't easily go out and buy more.

Even though it is not symmetrical, I think it still looks super cute and is a perfect size for a car seat!

I got the idea for this blanket from Red Heart.

You can make this any length you want. Just make sure your chain is in multiples of 18, +2. I made this blanket with a chain of 74. (18 x 4 +2)

Start and end the blanket with a row of sc: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and next 8
ch, (3 sc in next ch, sc in next 17 ch) until your last ripple, 3 sc in next
ch, sc in last 9 ch; turn

To make a row of regular dc in the ripple pattern: Ch 3, dc2tog, dc in next 7 sc, (3 dc in next sc, dc in next 8 sc, dec dc, dc in next 8 sc) until your last ripple, 3 dc in next sc, dc in next 7 sc, dc2tog, dc in last sc; turn

If you work that row over and over, you'll have a typical ripple afghan. They're one of my favorites.

To put in the "playful" part, or the ripple windows:
Row 1: Ch 1, sc2tog, sc in next 8 dc, (3 sc in next dc, sc in next 8 dc, dec sc, sc in next 8 dc) until your last ripple, 3 sc in next dc, sc in next 8 dc, sc2tog over last dc and ch-3; turn.
Row 2: Ch 3, skip first 2 sc, dc in next sc, (ch 1, skip next sc, dc in next sc) 3 times, * ch 1, skip next sc, (dc, ch 1, dc) in next sc, (ch 1, skip next sc, dc in next sc) 4 times, dec dc, dc in next sc, (ch 1, skip next sc, dc in next sc) 3 times; repeat from * until your last ripple; ch 1, skip next sc, (dc, ch 1, dc) in next sc, (ch 1, skip next sc, dc in next sc) 4 times, skip next sc, dc in last sc; turn.
Row 3: Ch 1, sc2tog, sc in next 8 sts and spaces, (3 sc in next ch-1 space, sc in next 8 sts and spaces, dec sc, sc in next 8 sts and spaces) until your last ripple, 3 sc in next ch-1 space, sc in next 8 sts and spaces, sc2tog; turn.



To finish off the last of this yarn, I also made her a baby beanie hat.

I made an adjustable ring, and made 12 dc in the ring. I increased until I had 48 sts. Just like with this hat.

I did 10 rounds total. This should make a 3-6 month hat. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...