Monday, January 16, 2012

Playful Ripple Baby Blanket

I made this baby blanket for a friend of mine who is having her baby today! It didn't turn out the exact way I wanted it, because I ran out of the green yarn. The yarn happens to be a discontinued yarn as well, so I couldn't easily go out and buy more.

Even though it is not symmetrical, I think it still looks super cute and is a perfect size for a car seat!

I got the idea for this blanket from Red Heart.

You can make this any length you want. Just make sure your chain is in multiples of 18, +2. I made this blanket with a chain of 74. (18 x 4 +2)

Start and end the blanket with a row of sc: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and next 8
ch, (3 sc in next ch, sc in next 17 ch) until your last ripple, 3 sc in next
ch, sc in last 9 ch; turn

To make a row of regular dc in the ripple pattern: Ch 3, dc2tog, dc in next 7 sc, (3 dc in next sc, dc in next 8 sc, dec dc, dc in next 8 sc) until your last ripple, 3 dc in next sc, dc in next 7 sc, dc2tog, dc in last sc; turn

If you work that row over and over, you'll have a typical ripple afghan. They're one of my favorites.

To put in the "playful" part, or the ripple windows:
Row 1: Ch 1, sc2tog, sc in next 8 dc, (3 sc in next dc, sc in next 8 dc, dec sc, sc in next 8 dc) until your last ripple, 3 sc in next dc, sc in next 8 dc, sc2tog over last dc and ch-3; turn.
Row 2: Ch 3, skip first 2 sc, dc in next sc, (ch 1, skip next sc, dc in next sc) 3 times, * ch 1, skip next sc, (dc, ch 1, dc) in next sc, (ch 1, skip next sc, dc in next sc) 4 times, dec dc, dc in next sc, (ch 1, skip next sc, dc in next sc) 3 times; repeat from * until your last ripple; ch 1, skip next sc, (dc, ch 1, dc) in next sc, (ch 1, skip next sc, dc in next sc) 4 times, skip next sc, dc in last sc; turn.
Row 3: Ch 1, sc2tog, sc in next 8 sts and spaces, (3 sc in next ch-1 space, sc in next 8 sts and spaces, dec sc, sc in next 8 sts and spaces) until your last ripple, 3 sc in next ch-1 space, sc in next 8 sts and spaces, sc2tog; turn.



To finish off the last of this yarn, I also made her a baby beanie hat.

I made an adjustable ring, and made 12 dc in the ring. I increased until I had 48 sts. Just like with this hat.

I did 10 rounds total. This should make a 3-6 month hat. :)

4 comments:

  1. The hat and the blanket look great!
    I hope you don't mind but I have mentioned your site on my blog. I wanted to start posting about the blogs I read and I found your blog today and decided it was the first one I wanted to post about. I hope you don't mind.
    http://crochetaddictcfs.blogspot.com/2012/01/other-blogs.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not mind at all! Thank you so much for mentioning my blog on yours.

      I'm trying to make this blog what I look for when I am searching for patterns. Sometimes the more pictures the better :)

      I also put patterns on all of them, mainly for myself and not for others. I know that sometimes places delete their patterns or delete their entire blog. I wanted a safe place to store all of my patterns and pictures! And why not share them with others at the same time!

      Thanks for following!

      Delete
  2. The ripple window effect is so cute. Thanks for posting this.

    I am a new follower, from Susan D's post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in love with the widow effect! I have plans to make much larger afghans with the same effect, I can't wait to do that!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...